Sunday, November 9, 2008

Summer's Final Blooms


I ventured out this morning, and was very pleasantly surprised at what I found around our yard. After an overnight low in the 20's, I felt sure that my gardening this year had come to an end. I had cleaned out some beds while planting yet more bulbs for Spring color and put many flowers "to bed" for the season. But isn't it nice when you find those hardy flowers peaking through, offering their final blooms for our enjoyment? This creeping phlox I found to be very confused. Normally an early Spring bloomer, these little guys looked spectacular spilling over the rock border. Then I rounded the corner to find the basket of flowers in full, spectacular bloom on the front porch. I don't think the geraniums looked this good all summer, so they obviously enjoy the cool temps over the heat.

No comments: